STEP 1: CALL 911 FOR HELP
All you need to say is “Someone is unresponsive and/or not breathing.” Be sure to give a specific address and/or description of your location.
Click here to call 911 on mobile
If the person is not breathing, perform rescue breathing for adults using the following steps:
- Clear the person’s airway (check that nothing inside the person’s mouth or throat is blocking the airway)
- Place one hand on the person’s chin, tilt the head back, and pinch the nose closed
- Place your mouth over the person’s mouth to make a seal and give two slow breaths
- Watch for the person’s chest (but not the stomach) to rise
- Follow up with one breath every 5 seconds
STEP 2: ADMINISTER EVZIO®
EVZIO® has a speaker that provides voice instructions to help guide you through each step of the injection. If the voice instructions do not work for any reason, EVZIO® will still work.
1. Pull EVZIO® from the outer case.
Do not go to Step 2 (Do not remove the red safety guard) until you are ready to use EVZIO®. If you are not ready to use EVZIO®, put it back in the outer case for later use.
2. Pull off the red safety guard.
To reduce the chance of an accidental injection, do not touch the black base of the auto-injector, which is where the needle comes out. If an accidental injection happens, get medical help right away.
Note: The red safety guard is made to fit tightly. Pull firmly to remove. Do not replace the red safety guard after it is removed.
3. Place the black end of EVZIO® against the outer thigh, through clothing, if needed. Press firmly and hold in place for 5 seconds. If you give EVZIO® to an infant less than 1-year-old, pinch the middle of the outer thigh before you give EVZIO® and continue to pinch while you give EVZIO®.
Note: EVZIO® makes a distinct sound (click and hiss) when it is pressed against the thigh. This is normal and means that EVZIO® is working correctly. Keep EVZIO® firmly pressed on the thigh for 5 seconds after you hear the click and hiss sound. The needle will inject and then retract back up into the EVZIO® auto-injector and is not visible after use.
For more detailed information on how to use EVZIO®, click here.
STEP 3: CONTINUE TO MONITOR
- It is important to get help now – call 911 if you haven’t already
- Stay with the person and monitor them until help arrives
- Rescue breathing may still be needed
- Give another dose of EVZIO® if no response happens within 3 minutes
- Comfort the person being treated, as withdrawal triggered by EVZIO® can feel unpleasant
This website and the information contained herein is not a substitute for emergency medical care.